Monday, August 03, 2009

Chukagai

Chinatown! Chinatown in Yokohama is a busy, vibrant place. At first glance, I thought it had little to offer, but I keep finding more hidden nuggets!

The first lovely place that made me like Chinatown more was one I found thanks to geocaching. The hunt led me to the Ma Zhu Miao temple. (I don't know any Chinese languages except "hello" and "delicious" in Mandarin, but I bet I'm probably being redundant and one of those words means "temple".) I took this picture during cherry blossom season. I went to Chinatown again with a friend who had found a veggie friendly Taiwanese restaurant that I had never heard of before. An accomplishment!The sesame noodles were lip-smacking, and the owner was really funny, chatty, and nosy. He called my friend お兄さん (big brother, even though my friend was 15 or 20 years younger than him; it's a term of affection/familiarity for someone you don't know well) and told me that he knew I was the vegetarian one. He was playing old wartime American tunes (think Andrews Sisters); very incongruous to the setting but enjoyable nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment