Thursday, January 20, 2011

bats in my belfry

Does anyone remember the Dick Tracy soundtrack, which was all sung by Madonna? I had it when I was a kid and there's a song called "Going Bananas" where she's singing in an accented Carmen Miranda-type accent.
I was just at the supermarket and the guy bagging his groceries next to me had this HUGE bunch of bananas. There must have been about twenty bananas in that bunch. I was super SUPER tempted to ask him if he was a monkey, or had a monkey at home. It was on the tip of my tongue, I was looking at him and smiling, but he was this really wan timid tired looking early-thirties salarymandude and he probably would have had me arrested.
I also have some bananas to use up and I made these really kick ass banana flapjacks yesterday. So easy, so delicious. The recipe is from Vegan Vittles.

3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder


1/3 cup mashed banana (about one small)
1/2 cup soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix dry, then mix wet, then combine. Fry in a non-stick or lightly oiled pan on medium high until golden on both sides. The batter's thicker than traditional pancake batter, but they turned out great. The recipe says it makes 2-4 servings, but I think it's closer to two. I made about three six inch pancakes, could have made four slightly smaller ones.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I remember that album! and it was a good one, Madge doesn't do anything half arsed, and even after all these years, I still want to be her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the taaaaape! Cos you put me BACK! Back in business, this ain't no hit or miss, I'm gonna got my waaaaay, tralala. I thought I was going to be one of those glamour types when I grew up. And look at me now! Head to toe in uniqlo and bobbled Zara trousers from four years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get not got. From now on I won't come back and correct typos. Just so hard resist though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are awesome. I didn't think anyone would know it, but those songs get stuck in my head A LOT even though I haven't played it in years.

    Allll work.... and NO playyyy, makes for a dull dull boy, career gets in the way.

    Hey, she could be talking about most of the men in this country!

    And the other one that I hear in my brain a lot is--

    Let's DANCE, you can do a little two-step. I'll go anywhere that you step too, cuz I'm following you.

    Hey Warren Beatty was pretty suave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My feet, may be dancing out of rhythm, don't know what I'm doing with them but I know I'm following you.... unlikely as it is to me... la la la

    ReplyDelete