Thursday, January 31, 2008

Julieta, will you walk with me?

I really like the Mexican singer/songwriter Julieta Venegas. As an exercise in practicing my Spanish, I've translated one of her songs into English. It's perhaps the first song that hooked me and turned me on to her music, though I've since purchased a few of her CDs and love all the songs. She's really sassy and rad. The songs, after being translated by my inexperienced and fumbling hand, sound better in the original Spanish. Still, I don't currently have any other chance to use my Spanish, so I thought I'd try to do this once in awhile.

Andar Conmigo
Walk with me

Hay tanto que quiero contarte,
There's plenty that I want to tell you,
Hay tanto que quiero saber de ti,
There's plenty I want to know about you,
Ya podemos empezar poco a poco,
Still we can start a little at a time,
Cuentame que te trae por aqui,
Tell me what you're bringing here,
No te asustes de decirme la verdad,
You're not scared to tell me the truth
Eso nunca puede estar así tan mal,
There's nothing that can be that bad,
Yo tambien tengo secretos para darte,
I too have secrets to give you,
Y que sepas que ya no me sirven más,
And that you know won't help me anymore,

Hay tantos caminos por andar,
There are plenty of roads to walk,
Dime si tu quisieras andar conmigo, oo, ooo,
Tell me if you want to walk with me,
Cuentame si quisieras andar conmigo, oo, ooo,
Let me know if you want to walk with me,
Dime si tu quisieras andar conmigo, oo, ooo,
Tell me if you want to walk with me,
Cuentame si quisieras andar conmigo
Let me know if you want to walk with me

Estoy anciosa por soltarlo todo,
I'm anxious to let it all go,
Desde el principio hasta llegar al día de hoy,
From the beginning until we arrive at today,
Una historia tengo en mi para entregarte,
I have a history in me to give you,
Una historia todavia sin final,
A history as yet without an end,
Podriamos decirnos cualquier cosa,
We can tell each other anything,
Incluso darnos para siempre un siempre no,
Even if we give ourselves for always or not,
Pero ahora frente a frente aqui sentados,
But now we're sitting face to face,
Festejemos que la vida nos cruzó ,
Celebrating what life has crossed with us

(Repeat chorus)

No comments:

Post a Comment